Fred Hutch’s Thomas Legacy Society honors generous people who have made an investment, through a future gift, in improving the lives of patients in years to come. Individuals who establish a gift to Fred Hutch through their will, trust or other planned gift are integral to the future of life-transforming research.
Thomas Society members share a common bond: a vision for building a foundation for new cures and advancing research that will save lives. When you include the Hutch in your estate plans, you are helping to ensure the Hutch will have the resources it needs to meet the priorities of the future. These include:
- Early-stage ideas that push the boundaries of science and are not yet eligible for federal funding
- Prevention research to keep diseases from ever occurring
- Early-career investigators working on the cures of the future
- Technology and equipment that accelerate discovery
- Housing and transportation assistance for our patients and families
A Tradition of Giving
By becoming a member of the Thomas Legacy Society, you are perpetuating a long tradition of innovation exemplified by the Society’s namesakes, Don and Dottie Thomas. A founding scientist at the Hutch, Nobel Prize winner Dr. E. Donnall Thomas developed bone marrow transplantation as a cure for leukemia. His wife, Dottie, called the “mother of bone marrow transplantation,” worked by his side. Through a gift in their estate, these research partners left a legacy not only of lifesaving scientific discoveries but also of their spirit of generosity.
Today, our Thomas Society members are carrying on Don and Dottie’s values. Like the Thomases, you can make a commitment to Fred Hutch research and leave your lasting mark on the world.
Becoming a Member of the Thomas Legacy Society
The following types of gift commitments qualify you for membership in the Thomas Legacy Society:
- Gift through a will or living trust
- Beneficiary designation on a variety of assets, including IRAs, 401(k)s, 403(b)s and qualified retirement plans, life insurance, brokerage accounts, bank accounts (checking, savings) and real estate (via a “Transfer on Death” deed)
- Life income arrangement (charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust)
- Charitable lead trust
- Remainder interest in your home or farm
- Other planned gift arrangements
We encourage you to notify us of your gift intentions and indicate your recognition preference on our Intention Form.
Benefits of Membership
Please let us show our great appreciation for your generous vision. If you notify us of your gift to Fred Hutch and become a member of the Thomas Legacy Society, you receive the following opportunities for recognition and benefits:
- Your name on the Thomas Legacy Society wall at Fred Hutch*
- Recognition in Fred Hutch’s online Annual Report*
- Invitation to the annual Thomas Legacy Society luncheon
- Invitations to other select events
- Personal tour of the Fred Hutch campus (family members and friends welcome)
- Quarterly delivery of Hutch Magazine, which provides in-depth features on current Fred Hutch science and the lives it touches
- Hutch News, a bimonthly e-newsletter providing the latest news about our research and upcoming events
*We respect the privacy of members who choose to remain anonymous and will ensure that you do not receive public recognition if you so choose.
Thank you for considering such a generous gift. If you have already arranged a gift, thank you for letting us know.
We invite you and your professional advisors to contact our Planned Giving team at 206.667.3396 or toll-free at 800.279.1618. We can provide more information on making a planned gift arrangement that is right for you and becoming a member of the Thomas Legacy Society. All inquiries are held in the strictest confidence and there is no obligation.