Other Ways to Give
You have many options available to you for making a gift to Fred Hutch. Becoming a part of our mission to cure cancer faster is easier than ever with options that provide benefits to you and pay tribute to those special to you.
IRA charitable rollover:
Many donors feel that a direct transfer of funds from an IRA is a great way to make the innovative cancer research at Fred Hutch a part of their legacy.
Here’s how it works:
- Your IRA administrator transfers the amount of your gift directly from your IRA to Fred Hutch.
- The transferred funds count towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution (RMD).
- You pay no income tax on the distribution. As long as the funds transfer directly from your IRA to Fred Hutch, you do not pay any tax on the distribution as you do on RMDs paid to you. With a traditional IRA, you will never pay income taxes on these funds.
Some rules to keep in mind:
- You must be age 70½ or older.
- Transfers are limited to a total of $100,000 per year for an individual and $200,000 per year for a married couple.
- The transfer must be made directly from your IRA account to Fred Hutch.
If you are interested in this popular way to support Fred Hutch, download a sample letter to your IRA administrator here.
Memorial or tribute gift:
A memorial or tribute gift to Fred Hutch is a meaningful way to express your love, admiration and gratitude for someone special. Your gift will honor your loved ones, create a lasting tribute to them and support the breakthrough research that will cure cancer faster.
Giving your gift:
- You can make a memorial or tribute gift with any type of gift, i.e., with cash; appreciated securities; real estate; personal property; through your will or trust; by beneficiary designation; or with a charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder trust or charitable lead trust. For a memorial gift, we can add the name of your loved one to the Fred Hutch Memorial Wall and recognize you on the Fred Hutch Lifetime Giving Wall (depending on gift size).
- You can establish an honorary endowment now or through your estate plan. Fred Hutch uses a portion of the endowment each year and invests the balance for future growth, so that the named fund creates a legacy that lasts in perpetuity. We can add the name of your endowed fund to the Fred Hutch Endowment Wall and you may be eligible to have your name on Grace Fountain. Learn more about the power of endowment here.
You have the power to help safeguard the future of Fred Hutch’s vital work. Because an endowment is a permanent gift, your generosity will continue to support our scientific breakthroughs for generations to come.
An endowment gift can create a new endowed fund or add to an existing endowed fund. Fred Hutch invests the principal of the endowment and uses a portion of the earnings each year to support our lifesaving mission. You can direct us to use the distributions from the endowed fund for the greatest need at the time of distribution or you can specify a particular area of interest.
Gifts of real estate:
You can donate appreciated real estate, such as a home, vacation property, undeveloped land, farmland, ranch or commercial property. This is an effective way to fund a legacy gift for Fred Hutch.
You can leave us property in your will or transfer it to us during your lifetime. You can even arrange to give Fred Hutch your home now while continuing to live in it for your lifetime. Whichever way you choose, you will receive a tax deduction for your gift.
Gifts of securities:
Securities, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value are among the best ways to drive research at Fred Hutch. Assuming you have owned the securities for over a year, you will receive a tax deduction for the full market value of the securities and avoid paying capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the securities. You receive a tax deduction for income that was never taxed! Ready to make a gift of securities? Click here.
Gifts of closely held business interests:
Many donors who own their own business find it preferable to donate a share of their business interest to Fred Hutch rather than publicly traded stock. Depending on how your business is structured (closely held C corporation, S corporation, Limited Liability Corporation, partnership), there are different rules and benefits. If you own your own business or otherwise hold a non-publicly traded business interest and are interested in making a donation to help accelerate cancer cures, we would be delighted to speak with you about the best way to do this. Please contact us at 800.279.1618 or at email@example.com.
Gifts of tangible personal property:
Valuable antiques, collectibles, such as stamps, coins, and wine, works of art, automobiles and other personal property can be given to Fred Hutch. There are several ways to do this — you can make an outright gift, a gift in your will or trust, a memorial or tribute gift, or a gift to an endowment. You might even use personal property to fund a charitable remainder trust and receive income for life.
Gifts of cash:
A donation of cash is a simple and effective way to create your legacy with Fred Hutch. You benefit from a tax deduction while having an immediate impact on our mission.
You can make your gift online with our secure online donation form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave N.
Mail Stop J5-200
Seattle, WA 98109
Donor advised fund (DAF) residuals:
We gladly accept grants from donor advised funds and can work with your fund’s administrator to ensure your grant supports the research most meaningful to you.
To turn your passion for curing cancer into a lasting legacy, contact us at 800.279.1618 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about legacy giving.